Layered Berry and Cacao Smoothie
Dessert for breakfast! This chocolatey smoothie is loaded with prebiotic ingredients such as banana and flax, with an extra hit of protein from the almond butter and hemp seeds. If mornings are busy, make the berry chia jam ahead of time—it will keep for a week in the fridge and is also great over oatmeal, chia puddings, or drizzled over our Prebiotic Pancakes.
30 minutes. 5 minutes if the jam is already made.
- 1 Tbsp. almond butter
- 1 Tbsp. ground flax
- 1 Tbsp. hemp seeds
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 Tbsp. cacao
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 date
- Pinch of salt
- Cacao nibs, to serve.
BERRY CHIA JAM
- 2 ½ cups of frozen berries (we use strawberries, blueberries, blackberries)
- 1 tsp. freshly grated ginger
- 1 Tbsp. of lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup or raw honey (optional)
- Pinch of cracked black pepper
- Make the berry chia jam. Place the berries in a saucepan over low heat, mashing up the bigger chunks with a wooden spoon. Add the grated ginger, lemon and maple syrup if using. Simmer for 5 minutes, allowing the liquid to reduce. Add the chia seeds, a pinch of salt and a tiny crack of black pepper. Cook for another three to five minutes to thicken, then place in the fridge to cool for 20 minutes.
- Blend smoothie ingredients in a blender until smooth.
- In a glass, swirl a few tablespoons of the berry chia mix around, then pour the smoothie over the top. Top with cacao nibs and serve with a spoon.